Brief History of MSC
Our club was first organized as a ski jumping club, holding tournaments on a hill at Nagawicka Lake. Limited finances and uncertain weather troubled these early skiers.
In 1925 the ski club erected a scaffold on the Milwaukee River bluff in Gordon Park. Meets took place there for six years. Park rules prohibited charging admission to MSC meets, so the club had to scratch to make ends meet.
During one meet so many spectators gathered on the river ice to watch a record field of 125 jumpers that the club decided for safetyís sake to move its operations to Soldierís home field.
The Milwaukee and Oconomowoc ski clubs merged from 1933 to 1942. Jumping meets were held at Devilís Hollow until World War II. In 1937 the club maintained its record of never calling off a tournament by using artificially made snow.
Downhill skiing came to MSC in 1939. Prosperity arrived with the War and the club acquired Fox Hill. A Ski Patrol was formed. Women became active members. In 1949, the present Ski Chalet was erected.
In the years since 1949, members have
graded and regraded the intermediate hill, defined trails and
added additional rope tows. The club continues to grow and
improve through the work and dedication of its current members.
A more detailed but still being added to, time line history of the Milwaukee Ski Club is in the club's Memebership Directory.
An article from the "Remember When ..." series from the Milwaukee Journal's Green Sheet is in the Milwaukee Public Library's Digital Collection, about the February 8, 1925, first annual ski tournament in Milwaukee.
There are many articles on the web about Fred Pabst our fourth president of the Milwaukee Ski Club:
New England Ski Museum
A google search will likely show more.
The Milwaukee Ski Club is honored to have the following members inducted in to the US Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame in Ishpeming, Michigan:
Fred Pabst club president 1926-1932
Arthur J. Barth club president 1933-1934 & 1939-1940
Lawrence Maurin club president 1945-1947
Changes have come to Timmer's read the West Bend Daily News article from January 26, 2006.
March 5, 2006 Milwaukee Journal-Sentinal article
Park considered: April 5, 2006 Journal-Sentinal article
Opposition to park April 13, 2006 Journal-Sentinal article
County won't buy property April 18, 2006 third item of Journal-Sentinal News brief
Timmers sold in Spring of 2018 Washington County Insider article